Monday, October 15, 2007

Space Pens

The first product that I'm going to feature is the Space Pen, by Fisher Pen Co. I first heard about the Space Pen from Darren Rowse over at Problogger, and he makes a good point about why they are such a good product. One of the most important tools for a blogger is his writing, and sometimes it's not the easiest thing to just sit down at the computer and just write. For example, I had to spend a few hours just considering what product I wanted to write about (there are so many!).

That being said, a Space Pen can be a very useful tool to a blogger. Yes, it is a pen, but sometimes pen and paper can be even better than the computer. You never know when you're going to come up with a great idea for a blog post, and having a pen handy can make the difference between having a great post, and a mediocre post. Without that pen handy, you might not have the idea that landed you on the front page of Digg!

Now what is so great about the Space Pen? It's no ordinary pen of course. Here are some of it's features:

  • The Pen can write at any angle, and can survive extreme conditions. (Great for underwater note-taking! ;-)
  • Excellent ink life. Some actually claim to last a lifetime!
  • Extremely smooth writing capability.
  • Writes through oil, grease, and shiny surfaces.
  • Will not leak!
  • Reasonable price for a quality product.
Here's what some people on Amazon have said about the Space Pen:
I found my PDA a pain to enter information into, and replaced it with a Space Pen and a pocket notebook. If you are a writing dork and want to carry a pen with you everywhere you go, perhaps in your back pocket with your jotting notebook, then you need the bullet Space Pen. It's small - about 3 inches long with the cap on - so it fits in your pocket. When you remove the cap and secure it to the bottom of the pen, it lengthens to a more comfortable size for writing. The chrome cap and body keep it from bending and bursting in your back pocket, and ruining the driver's seat of your car, not to mention some very comfy jeans.

Aside from all that, it doesn't clog and it writes immediately, every time. And it's not expensive compared to far fancier and less functional pens. Overall it's a great piece of gee-golly technology from the space age, that is also fully functional and practical.
annnnd....
I love the space pen. Period. It just plain works.

I keep mine in the little change pocket of my jeans, and that plus a Moleskine Cahier, I have a pen and paper at all times. Non-jean days it slips right in with my change. Some folks may prefer the gel inks, but they are far too smudgy for writing in a tiny book. I had a Cross Ion that I used before this, and all I got was smudge. These don't leak, they don't dry out, they always work. Each ink refill lasts alot longer.

It also is just the right size and shape to use as a worry stone. If you have fidgety hands, meet your new best friend. I often find I have subconsciously taken it out and started twirling it or playing with the cap. The chrome feel smooth and reassuring, the size fits perfectly in your hand.

And more. Generally great reviews on Amazon. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, so I can get started writing away from my computer and jotting down all the ideas running through my head.

The Space Pen can be purchased at Amazon.com for about $17. I think it's an excellent deal. If you have a Space Pen, feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think about it!

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my feed! Purchase today's item from my Amazon Store!

No comments: